The University of Michigan Law School (Michigan Law) is the law school of the University of Michigan, in Ann Arbor. Founded in 1859, the school has an enrollment of about 1,200 students, most of whom are seeking Juris Doctor (JD) or Master of Laws (LLM) degrees, although the school also offers a Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD) degree. The Law School has 81 full-time faculty members (60 tenured and tenure-track and 21 in clinical and legal practice).〔(【引用サイトリンク】 title=Faculty A-Z )〕
Michigan Law School consistently ranks among the highest-rated law schools in the United States. It was ranked third in the initial ''U.S. News & World Report'' law school rankings in 1987. Michigan Law is also one of the "T14" law schools, schools that have consistently ranked within the top 14 law schools since U.S. News began publishing rankings. In the 2016 ''U.S. News'' ranking, Michigan Law is ranked 11th overall.〔(【引用サイトリンク】 title=Best Law School Rankings )〕 The 2010 Super Lawyers rankings placed Michigan as second. Michigan Law is currently ranked 8th for International Law.〔(【引用サイトリンク】 title=Best International Law Programs )〕 In a 2011 ''U.S. News'' "reputational ranking" of law schools by hiring partners at the nation’s top law firms, the University of Michigan Law School ranked 4th.
Admission to Michigan Law is highly selective. For the class entering in the fall of 2012, 1,238 out of 5,062 applicants (24.5%) were offered admission, with 344 matriculating. The 25th and 75th LSAT percentiles for the 2012 entering class were 166 and 170, respectively, with a median of 169 (top 3.3 percent of test takers).〔http://www.alphascore.com/resources/lsat-score-conversion/〕 The 25th and 75th undergraduate GPA percentiles were 3.57 and 3.83, respectively, with a median of 3.73.〔(【引用サイトリンク】 title=ABA Law School Data for The University of Michigan Law School )〕 Approximately 92.5 percent of the graduating class of 2010 was employed by nine months after graduation.〔(【引用サイトリンク】 title=Comprehensive Employment Statistics 2012 )〕 Approximately 31% of the class of 2011 secured positions in one of the nation's 250 largest firms. The majority of Michigan Law grads work in New York, Illinois, California, Washington, D.C. and Michigan.
The law school has graduated the late U.S. Supreme Court Justices Frank Murphy, William Rufus Day, and George Sutherland, as well as a number of heads of state and corporate executives. Michigan Law has also placed 33 of its graduates on the state's Supreme Court, including six who served as Chief Justice. More than 170 Michigan law graduates have served as legislators as either United States Senator (20 graduates) or as a Congressional representative (more than 150 graduates).
The Law School was founded in 1859, and quickly rose to national prominence. By 1870, Michigan was the largest law school in the country.
In 1870, Gabriel Franklin Hargo graduated from Michigan as the second African-American to graduate from law school in the United States. In 1871 Sarah Killgore, a Michigan Law graduate, became the first woman to both graduate from law school and be admitted to the bar.〔(【引用サイトリンク】title=Michigan's First Woman Lawyer )〕
Although the law school is part of the public University of Michigan, less than 2 percent of the law school's expenses are covered by state funds.〔(【引用サイトリンク】 title=Nannes Third-Year Challenge: Frequently Asked Questions )〕 The remainder (97–98% of Michigan Law's budget) is supplied by private gifts, tuition, and endowments.
As of 2009, Michigan Law is engaging in a $102 million enterprise, constructing an addition to the law building that remains loyal to the English Gothic style. This enterprise is fully funded by endowments and private gifts.〔(【引用サイトリンク】title=A New Legal Landscape )〕 2009 also marked the school's sesquicentennial celebration. As a part of the festivities, Chief Justice John Roberts visited the school and participated in the groundbreaking ceremony for the new building.
抄文引用元・出典: フリー百科事典『 ウィキペディア（Wikipedia）』
■ウィキペディアで「University of Michigan Law School」の詳細全文を読む